This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature

Old 07-18-2007

Some interesting, violent, thriller-y stuff:
Battle Royale
Crimson Labyrinth
A Clockwork Orange (this one has actual philosophical content =0 )
Old 07-18-2007

Postcards from No Man's Land
is one of my all time favorite books. It's just such a good book, I mean, that's really it.
Old 07-18-2007

@shadowmayne-how was nightwatch? i looked amazing at the bookstore-but ive knid of lost my liking for the supernatural in "real world" gambit-ive just read too many that were. . . . not all that great, to be kind about it.

ummm what ive liked recently was Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls by Jane Linskold. i kind of label it as cyberpunk, if you like that subgenre, and very much a difference from her Wolf (political "true" fantasy) series (which i thought was getting a little weak on the latest few books, but her weak is still a tight read) but still continues her fascination with wolves and their culture.
Also for you people who love Neil Gamian (who also makes excellent movies and series-but you know that already), Terry Pratchett is an excellent comedic/satiric fantasy writer. I love The Hogfather, The Discworld's (the planet his long-running books are located-but you . . . .also knew that) take on "the holiday season". also Small Gods.
Old 07-18-2007

just wanted to know if you knew about the new series based on those books-its on sci-fi channel. but if you dont, its quite all right-theyre okay. if you hadnt read the series, they would be a semi-awesome series-but the books are much more intense, and quite frankly have better characters. but the new bob twist is interesting.
Old 07-19-2007

I don't think it's childish!!
I read the first 2 books then I saw the movie and omg I loved them! ALL OF THEM!!
yay ^_^
I want to buy all the books >.> It's sooo good.. I have a favorite quote from the movie even..
"Well, maybe sometimes it's easier to be mad at the people you trust." "Why? Why is that?" ..."Because you know they'll always love you, no matter what."

...Yeah, I like that quote ^_^
-Midori-
Old 07-19-2007

Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto... a lot of depth in feelings and living with transvestites! but it has a lot of soul and very sweet! not your typical love story~!

Eggs, Milk, Vodka - Bill Keaggy... a collection of grocery lists from across America! laugh at all the misspellings and wierd things people buy! collected by a man who cares about the little things in life! very sweet and fun to read when you're bored!
Old 07-19-2007

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.
Harry Potter series by Rowling.
Darren Shan series by Darrn Shan.
Old 07-19-2007

I knew about the show, but never actually watched it. I'll have to look up on it sometime.
Old 07-19-2007

Send a message via AIM to jh4e Send a message via MSN to jh4e Send a message via Skype™ to jh4e

^_^ Yay! Ok...yeah, I need to buy the movie. It was cool *nods* ^_^ and it just teaches a very basic rule - know that true friends will always be there for you when everything else is gone ^_~*

I have yet to READ the LOTR series; I've only seen the movies and damn they were awesome! ^_^
Old 07-19-2007

I personally liked the In Fire Forged series. google it, that should point you in the right direction. I also recommend A Game of Thrones. You have to be a tiny bit stubborn at the beginning, but it's really good, and it doesn't really focus on one person, but clans of people, so there's a lot to keep track of.
Old 07-19-2007

"A song of Ice and Fire" Series by George R. R. Martin
AMAZING fantasy series. ^^

Read more on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
Old 07-19-2007

Yeah, I think that's why I like that quote so much.
You really should read the LOTR series, it's SO good. I love the movies but the books are really good. I read them in like grade 9 and plan on reading them again soon because.. well, just because I can.
Oh.. Best Destiny (it's a Star Trek book) by.. well, i don't remember who the author is. But if you like Star Trek, you definitely have to read. It's about James Kirk when he was young.. and why he turned out the way he did (totally awesome) :P

..Yeeeah..
-Midori-
Old 07-20-2007

Send a message via AIM to jh4e Send a message via MSN to jh4e Send a message via Skype™ to jh4e

^_^ Good for you!

I am. I swear I'm going to get to it. It's been on my list of "Things to Read" for the longest time, but right now, my muses for reading and writing are slow to none. They have this habit of springing up when I really don't need them too. Gets annoying at times >> <<

Hmm...I'll think about the ST one. I kinda had a friend that became OBSESSED with it sorta turn me off to it >> <<
Old 07-20-2007

I love all books.

You should read the Mediator, or any of Meg Cabot's books that were published before 2003.

A Great and Terrible Beauty is a great book, and so is Twilight. (But I'm not so sure about New Moon.)
Old 07-21-2007

EEK! Omgah, were they like.. one of those Trekkie people!? Ew.
xD I am nowhere near obsessed.
Just.. the book is good XD Heehee.
I know what you mean about teh reading and writing muses. I only ever want to write in the middle of the night. Like.. seriously, 3 or 4am when I'm supposed to be asleep o_O
and I read.. whenever I'm supposed to be working. It's weird >.>
-Midori-
Old 07-21-2007

Agreed!! People, read A Great and Terrible Beauty!! DO IT! XD It's soooo good. There's one after it.. uh.. Rebel Angels :P It's really good as well. It's actually a trilogy, the last book is called The Sweet Far Thing and is due out on Dec. 26 of this year. >.> So says Wikipedia!! Bwehehehehe ;D

I can't wait for them >.> Eeehehehe
-Midori-
Old 07-21-2007

*laughs* XD Well he would go around quoting crap all the time. Just weirded me the heck out...and he was an ex of mine

0-0 Lord...well I've had that happen maybe once or twice, but you know what I do instead? I will grab a notebook, write down the idea and take my arse right back to sleep :p

Nah, we have to stay busy at my job. No time to be lazy :p
Old 07-24-2007

I bought the whole series of Gossip Girl, so if that was banned, why on Earth am I finding it in bookstores all over the place here? And it's a New York Bestseller series, so that doesn't make much sense...not to mention the same author has a similar series that follows it called "The It Girl" which his a series of 3 books
Old 07-24-2007

I saw the movie "A Clockwork Orange" and I tell you...I just didn't get it...
Old 07-25-2007

A great series of adventure books would be The Edge Chronicles. Start with the Twig Trilogy, then the Quint trilogy, then the Rook trilogy. I'm only halfway through Quint but it's very good.

Another good read, comedy this time are the Jiggy Mcue books. Very funny. BTW if I spelt Mcue wrong then search for The Poltergoose. That's the first in the series.
Old 07-26-2007

Anything by Douglas Adams. There is no physical way to hate a man of so much brilliance.
Old 07-26-2007

The Harry Potter series.
Old 07-28-2007

Quote:
Anything by Douglas Adams. There is no physical way to hate a man of so much brilliance.
Yups
Old 07-28-2007

My top three favorites would be The Lord of the rings, Harry potter and The Lone Samurai. I'm very big in to fantasy (thats the reason behind the first two) but the lone Samurai is on Miyamoto Musashi's life. It's really good and really cool. I'm very big in to the samurai and he is one of the biggest. If anyone wants to know of any other books on the samurai I know of a few others.
Old 07-31-2007

1984. It's the most dystopian book I've yet to read. The only shred of optimism I've seen so far is when [ he realizes the proles could successfully uprise due to shear numbers if they would only realize their power. ]
Old 08-11-2007

...what, no mention of H.P. Lovecraft yet??? :) I love all of his work. You can find all his stories at dagonbytes.com, but I wouldn't advise it unless you were forced through a LOT of older stuff in English classes. ...or if you go and buy a book that explains all of his referrences.

Also another one that has yet to be mentioned, Patricia McKillip. She writes mainly fantasy, and I absolutely ADORE her book In the Forests of Serre. The Cygnet and the Firebird...I couldn't finish that one. After seven chapters of the same things being repeated, I just gave up...

A Great and Terrible Beauty...YES!!! Have you read the second half? Er...can't think of the name right now...oh! Rebel Angels. It wasn't QUITE as good, and left too many questions unanswered.
Old 08-12-2007

If you're into history and all that boring stuff (well, boring in the eyes of most young people. Not that I'm an adult or anything...) read "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. Interesting stories.
Old 08-18-2007

Ready? ::deep breath:: here we go. And Im going to commit a travesty by Quoting book titles instead of underlining. Gasp.

"The Catcher in the Rye"- JD Salinger: If you don't want to look deep into it, then this book (and the ones im about to list) arent for you. But you should read them all anyway, because well, they're all amazing.

"Siddhartha"- Hermann Hesse: The book I wrote my thesis on, the writing style reflects the very mood attempting to be reached by the main character, and, as the title implies, it has to do with discovering Nirvana and "The Self." Much as the real Buddha was said to do. A brilliant book, flows like a river.

I tend to use the word Brilliant a lot when talking about books, I've noticed >.> ANYWAY!

"A Clockwork Orange"- Anthony Burgess: Creepy and strange as all hell. Direct, but the book is very manipulative :-P Everything that happens in the book... doesn't necessarily happen. :-D The language seems daunting, but it's easy to grasp if you keep reading. Also, if you read the book that has only up to chapter twenty, smack yourself repeatedly. Because that is no longer the same book.

"The Sun Also Rises"- Ernest Hemingway: A good book. Almost uses stream of consciousness to describe everything, but, somewhat stops short (Catcher in the Rye goes ALL the way with it). Very interesting book. Worth an attempt.

"1984" and "Animal Farm"- George Orwell: Very good novels. Good enough to create a whole term based on the author "Orwellian" if you havent read these, read them Animal Farm, then 1984. Seriously, Orwell was a mastermind of his beliefs. Though it is VERY biased :-P

"The Awakening"- Kate Chopin: Tell Jane Austen to shove it. This book beats "Pride and Prejudice" hands down, while still being half as long. it takes place in the 1890's era, and has to do with the evolution of a woman becoming herself, and no longer society's puppet. One of the best quotes can be found in this novel. "The years that are gone seem like dreams- if one might go on sleeping and dreaming- but oto wake up and find- oh! Well! Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."

"Frankenstein"- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley: Also known as "The Modern Prometheus," this novel is nothing like the horror flick you've watched over and over again in thirty different forms. It is an excellent novel. the fact that it is still written as if someone were writing letters amazes me. Worth a definite read.

"Heart of Darkness"- Joseph Conrad: Very slow read. Very detailed but very VERY slow. But WORTH it. An excellent book, with brilliant themes. Hell, it's even represented a bit in Star Wars at a most critical moment. "Oh The Horror! The Horror!" :-D

Well, I guess that's all I'll put up... for now. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Until next time, when I drill Classic literature into your skulls some more!
Old 08-19-2007

Quote:
"1984" and "Animal Farm"- George Orwell: Very good novels.
Yes they are very good books. Along with "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley... Some people think George Orwell stole the idea for "1984" from "Brave New World".

"Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami: Its a very captivating book about a class of junior high school students that are taken by the government to a deserted island where they are provided arms and forced to kill one another until only one survivor is left standing. Its one of the few books that I have read that I didnt have to force myself to read it to the end.

"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury(I actually was supposed to read this in high school but never bothered to until like a year after I left): This book is set in a future where all books are banned and critical thought is suppressed. Its based around a fireman(which in this book means someone who burns books) who meets a young women(maybe girl... cant remember which) who sort of teaches him to ask "Why?". Its a very good book.

OH! And any book by Chuck Palahniuk, especially:
Fight Club
Survivor
Choke
Lullaby
Fugatives and Refugees(only for those interested in the anazing"history" of Portland, Oregon, US)
Old 08-20-2007

If you are a fantasy fan i would suggest Terry Goodking, Raymond Feist, David Gemmel and Terry Pratchet