This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  
 
HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-30-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

I understand what you all are trying to say, but I just think it's pointless for the authors to be mad about it. There will always be crazy fans, nothing will change that. The authors just need to trust that their own work will outshine the rest and therefore not get a bad reputation because of it.

Last edited by angel of darknezz; 09-30-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-30-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

sometimes fanfiction shines louder then their work, the average yaoi fangirl can be awful writers
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-30-2011
FluffyPillow's Avatar
FluffyPillow FluffyPillow is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Still searching for the Holy Grail...
Blurb: One does not silly walk into Mordor!
Posts: 5,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
sometimes fanfiction shines louder then their work, the average yaoi fangirl can be awful writers
Sometimes?

Check the YGO fandom on fanfiction.net it's awful! I'm not a native speaker but even I see that most of the fics are so bad written that I want to throw up. And then the comments...
Most of the fics are childish shit from lonley fangirls who don't know how a relationship, a dialogue or sex functioned.

Fanfictions can be great, but even if you write a humor fic you should try to stay in character otherwise I agree with Xanadu, you're shitting on the authors work...
[ Goku and Anne Frank vs. Hitler...seriously? ]
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-30-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

Oh, gosh... fanfiction.net

I visited it one time out of curiosity, found some yugioh fanfiction... it left me speachless (I mean, do these people even watch the ACTUAL show? It was awefull). In my opinion, there can be verry well written and horrible beyond belief fanfiction. It all depends on the mind writing the story.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-30-2011
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

I think people here need to learn to not judge others by own morals, sure I find fan-fiction repugnant for reasons previously stated, but do those reasons give me the right to completely oppress another? No, as in end all we have here are baseless opinions and no one persons opinion is worth anymore than anothers.

-You know why? Simple really; because if some prepubescent, fangirl, in her autonomous being, decides to write a really woeful piece of work, which completely destroys the heart of another better piece of writing; rather than nuking her and her work from existence, I can do this amazing thing called using my own intaitive and antonomous state of being. By doing this I can come to far more simple and easy conclusion of simply...wait for it...this the clever part...here it comes...not reading the thing!!!!....cue music of celebration here...by god he has got it.

[ Ps you know, this is not so much to do with the writing of fanfic as it is the publishing of it. ]

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 09-30-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-30-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

^

I just read this, and... I honestly could not have said it any better myself. Just, wow.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-30-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyPillow View Post
Sometimes?

Check the YGO fandom on fanfiction.net it's awful! I'm not a native speaker but even I see that most of the fics are so bad written that I want to throw up. And then the comments...
Most of the fics are childish shit from lonley fangirls who don't know how a relationship, a dialogue or sex functioned.

Fanfictions can be great, but even if you write a humor fic you should try to stay in character otherwise I agree with Xanadu, you're shitting on the authors work...
[ Goku and Anne Frank vs. Hitler...seriously? ]
Hitler turned Super Saiyan and quoted the Street Fighter movie (with the of course meme)...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-30-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
I think people here need to learn to not judge others by own morals, sure I find fan-fiction repugnant for reasons previously stated, but do those reasons give me the right to completely oppress another? No, as in end all we have here are baseless opinions and no one persons opinion is worth anymore than anothers.

-You know why? Simple really; because if some prepubescent, fangirl, in her autonomous being, decides to write a really woeful piece of work, which completely destroys the heart of another better piece of writing; rather than nuking her and her work from existence, I can do this amazing thing called using my own intaitive and antonomous state of being. By doing this I can come to far more simple and easy conclusion of simply...wait for it...this the clever part...here it comes...not reading the thing!!!!....cue music of celebration here...by god he has got it.

[ Ps you know, this is not so much to do with the writing of fanfic as it is the publishing of it. ]
yes but...there's a thread for talking about it so we're gonna talk about it, thats why it exists.
if we didn't want to talk about it or "yammer" about it, the thread wouldn't exist
and if people want to judge by their own morals, who are you to stop them?
really? who are you to tell me I am not allowed to bitch about fanfiction
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-30-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel of darknezz View Post
^

I just read this, and... I honestly could not have said it any better myself. Just, wow.
then why are you here talking about it, why are you in this thread if you agree with him
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-30-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

^

Meh, I have... flexible opinions (as I like to say it) and I like to read about and discuss opinions on it is all. I may not make any sense, but oh well. As I would say, "Deal with it".
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-30-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

I'd really rather not
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-30-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

^

Meh, whatever... do as you wish...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-01-2011
Jotenks's Avatar
Jotenks Jotenks is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Kame House
Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru
Posts: 1,043
Default

"Deal with it" isn't a very good thing to say in an argument.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-01-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

Yeah, you caught me. I'm not perfect. Did'nt mean to make people wanna flame me. Jeez...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-01-2011
WolfSpirit456's Avatar
WolfSpirit456 WolfSpirit456 is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: With Marik's evil council.
Blurb: CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!
Posts: 3,072
Default

I read some Yu-gi-oh fanfiction once and I regreted it. Most of them were romantic fanfiction and poorly written...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-01-2011
HolyShadow's Avatar
HolyShadow HolyShadow is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Holy Land
Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
Posts: 12,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
who are you to tell me I am not allowed to bitch about fanfiction
Xanadu, you seem to fail to realize the irony of denying someone else's right to share their opinion (about you) while demanding others listen to yours, which in itself denies their right to share their opinion.

Grow up and learn that people are going to disagree with you. If you disagree with my conclusion that you should allow people to have their opinions, then you are directly against the very concept of liberty, and are therefore a hypocrite.

Who are they? Who are you? You're a person, just like he is. Your opinion holds no more worth than his. If you don't like it, DEAL WITH IT.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-01-2011
Jotenks's Avatar
Jotenks Jotenks is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Kame House
Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel of darknezz View Post
Yeah, you caught me. I'm not perfect. Did'nt mean to make people wanna flame me. Jeez...
Woah woah woah, nobody said anything about perfection here. This was never a flame war and you are going to make it one if you continue saying things of the sort. I have no idea where this notion of flaming you came from, since I attacked your argument, not your character. If anything you're pulling the closest thing to the race card on the internet by claiming people are attacking you when I've done no such thing.

My beef is that you seem to be just telling people to "deal with it" as the basis for your entire argument. This isn't as much of a problem since this topic is highly opinionated, but the problem is you aren't actually providing a proper argument to support your claims, while then proceeding to basically tell people "I guess so, but people still can so deal with it".



My argument comes down to believing that some things should just not be, and Super Saiyan Hitler making out with Vegeta is one of those things. It's like the people who play Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children and then say they love Cloud, whilst never having played the game, or thinking it was a load of crap and then proceeding to write fanfiction on something they know 0% about while propagating the notion that Cloud is an emo homosexual.

Thus concludes my speech on why I hate Advent Children. [ It could have been good, but it wasn't. ]
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-01-2011
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

Ok, for once I am going to be an adult and say, everyone calm down please; Fanfiction is not worth fighting over. :) I think angel was trying to say the same point as holy, though this was in her own (self admittedly) none articulate way.

I also happened to actually agree completely with Holy's comment...yes shock of horrors, when I act like an adult, I can agree with holy...moving on.

This is not about saying your opinions are invalid, actually quite the opposite, we are saying everyones opinions are valid, that just doesn't give you the right to start invalidating anothers counter opinions. Xanadu, you can say you don't believe they should do it and I would whole heartily agree with you, but neither of us can actually stop them doing it, because that would imply we are somehow more important than these other people...sadly we're not, we're just different.

Jotenks, I also agree with you that the idea of Super Saiyian Hitler...etc is repulsive, not as repulsive as some official animes, I have seen, but repulsive all the same. However when Angel says deal with it, while maybe not the most apt way of putting it, what she is really saying is, this is not a problem for you, unless you make it one, I mean if you hate this idea so much, why read it in the first place?
-I find the idea of a film based on a dieing man mass murderering people to be sickening in a none-literal sense and so do not watch such a film. The only reason for me to watch such a film, would be to criticise it, for the sake of criticising it.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 10-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-01-2011
Xanadu's Avatar
Xanadu Xanadu is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Unicornia
Blurb: See you in your dreams!
Posts: 18,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
Xanadu, you seem to fail to realize the irony of denying someone else's right to share their opinion (about you) while demanding others listen to yours, which in itself denies their right to share their opinion.

Grow up and learn that people are going to disagree with you. If you disagree with my conclusion that you should allow people to have their opinions, then you are directly against the very concept of liberty, and are therefore a hypocrite.

Who are they? Who are you? You're a person, just like he is. Your opinion holds no more worth than his. If you don't like it, DEAL WITH IT.
I've often stated I was a hypocrite, not sure why this is new to some
(and a super saiyan hitler isn't repulsive, its retarded, and oddly hilarious at the same time)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-01-2011
HolyShadow's Avatar
HolyShadow HolyShadow is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Holy Land
Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
Posts: 12,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
I've often stated I was a hypocrite, not sure why this is new to some
(and a super saiyan hitler isn't repulsive, its retarded, and oddly hilarious at the same time)
Got it, I just won't take you seriously at all in the future, as I would act in response to any hypocrite.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-10-2012
Kaleiphant's Avatar
Kaleiphant Kaleiphant is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Blurb: Don't fake the funk on an elephant's trunk.
Posts: 174
Default

I can sort of understand authors not wanting people to write fanfiction about their characters. I write original stories and I might be creeped out if I found some inappropriate fanfiction using my characters (assuming my stuff gets popular enough to have fans). Also, after reading about the whole "Russet Noon" drama, I could see why some authors wouldn't like it.

But at the same time, I don't really think it's so bad, just as long as the fanfiction writers don't make money from it. But I may just be biased, there.

Last edited by Kaleiphant; 03-10-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-11-2012
HolyShadow's Avatar
HolyShadow HolyShadow is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Holy Land
Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
Posts: 12,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleiphant View Post
I can sort of understand authors not wanting people to write fanfiction about their characters. I write original stories and I might be creeped out if I found some inappropriate fanfiction using my characters (assuming my stuff gets popular enough to have fans). Also, after reading about the whole "Russet Noon" drama, I could see why some authors wouldn't like it.

But at the same time, I don't really think it's so bad, just as long as the fanfiction writers don't make money from it. But I may just be biased, there.
No that's pretty reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-11-2012
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

The logic... heresy, burn her

In all seriousness, I understand your point completely; I really dislike fanfiction, but I don't think me disliking it, is reason enough to try and stop it existing.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-06-2013
Wesker012's Avatar
Wesker012 Wesker012 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: In America!
Blurb: It's dangerous going alone. Take this.
Posts: 38
Default

I do not have anything against fanfiction. Sure there are really awful ones, but some of the one's that I've read are quite good. I don't really have an opinion the fanfic authors making characters fuck characters they wouldn't fuck in canon.

For example, a lot of RE fanfic feature Chris and Wesker having sex. Do I support the pairing? No. Do I think it should stop? No. Writers are entitled to their interpretations. (trust me, there's a lot of canon interactions between Chris and Wesker that could cause some fans to interpret their rivalry into having sexual subtext)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-09-2013
AllisonWalker's Avatar
AllisonWalker AllisonWalker is offline
Rides Kaiba
 
Gender: Female
Location: Naval Station Everett
Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Posts: 16,138
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker
Default

A good fanfiction writer uses their hobby as a way to practice for their actual eventual original fiction creative works. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as they don't try peddling their fandom work as something worth publishing.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-09-2013
Ishikawa Oshro's Avatar
Ishikawa Oshro Ishikawa Oshro is offline
 
Gender: Kroze
Location: in your back pocket. Have a friend get me out plox
Blurb: If I save time, when do I get it back?
Posts: 3,802
Default

I fanfic Allison and myself in preparation if the day we lawfully wed.
It's good practice for the real deal
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-12-2013
Kitana_Matsuri's Avatar
Kitana_Matsuri Kitana_Matsuri is offline
 
Gender: Yaoi-Fangirl
Location: Fictional cave.
Blurb: Moltov Everything
Posts: 248
Default

[I'm looking forward to Allison's rewrite by the way.]

Stories with shoddy writing that actually harbor a large magnitude of positive reviews befuddles the fuck out of me. I stopped writing/publishing garbage for good reason. I actually found well written pieces of gold among crap that made me realize I need to stick to what I know best. Now when running into these fanfic's that at times shockingly have decent plots, I will try to get through at least a few chapters and hope they perhaps found a beta. When I see that they indeed find themselves infallible and believe they need no such assistance, I move on to the next story and author.

Sometimes you'll find that the mashed up story you tried to drag yourself through was an earlier work for that particular author. Occasionally, their current work is on an entirely different level. I particularly enjoy when an author's writing ability grows tremendously and their hard work shows.

Last edited by Kitana_Matsuri; 03-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-01-2013
RobT's Avatar
RobT RobT is offline
 
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Default

I've seen some fanfictions that should be illegal, but in general, people should be allowed and encouraged to express their creativity through fanfiction as through any other means.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-29-2013
TenderThief's Avatar
TenderThief TenderThief is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: England (land of Ryou!)
Blurb: No wifin in the club, gimme twenty dollars
Posts: 12
Default

I occasionally write fanfiction as a hobby but I don't spend hours devoted to it. The last time I touched my fanfics were about two weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-19-2013
Athena's Avatar
Athena Athena is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2
Default

I realise this is a dead topic beaten back into some semblence of life, but alright I'll bite.

The issue surrounding fan-works of any sort and that people become most butt-hurt about is the idea that fans are plagiarising. Plagiarism is a very serious offence and yet may times what consitutes plagiarism falls into a grey area with no clear line between "yes this is plagiarism" or "no it is not". Only when money is involved do we force lines to be drawn and try to force a real answer but even that has flaws. Take YGOAS for example: although it uses images straight from the show and follows the plot in a parodic fashion, I would never accuse it of plagiarising. However many do and so it is continually taken down from YouTube.

What is sometimes the most ironic part about fanfictions or fanart is that some artists add watermarks or state that they will be upset should anyone attempt to "steal" their art or ideas. Its nearly poetic that they cannot see their fanart/writing as a product of accumulated ideas, therefore not entirely original or self-owned. Then again what is? Most everything we know or will ever know was not an original thought conjured by our own minds. Let me explain:

When we take something such as fanart, say a drawing of Yugi, at what point is it no longer plagiarism? When we change the colour of hair? Draw him in a different style - or maybe draw him as a girl? If people know the point of reference was Yugi, no matter how many changes were made they would still 'see' Yugi in the reproduced image and could call grounds for plagiarism.

Now back up a bit. If not fan art, how about Yugi's original concept in general. He's an anime character right so isnt that plagiarising someone else's drawing style? Someone had to draw the first anime character and it was not Takahashi. He (like many others) have referenced it and used it to make something new. The world exists the way it does because we build upon the things we see, the things that others have already invented and created.

Now if we really wanted we could push the issue further. Drawing isnt an original concept either, someone also had to do that first. If we wanted we could go full-out Rene Descartes on this argument, but I digress.

The argument I am attempting to make is that every idea comes from somewhere. Inspiration is but the combining of elements already existing in the hope of creating something new and better than the original, and I use terms such as "better" lightly.

In the case of some fanfictions, an entire alternate universe that is nothing like the original Yugioh world is utalised which begs the question of why bother to have a YGO fanfic? The answer I would offer is pretty basic and Im sure others will have a different opinion, but I'd wager that fanficing draws an 'easy' audience.

What I basically mean by 'easy' audience is that fans browsing sites will pick up on stories involving their favourite character pairings (lets face it, people are ficing for the romances) which means that, by using something like YGO characters people are drawn to what is otherwise an original storyline or world.

Arguably to change the names and write the story as an entirely original piece of fiction would likely hinder its success. People would be less likely to stumble upon it and for developing writers its critically important to recieve feedback and enough praise to keep motivation.

Now for years I have frowned on fanfics as a waste of time given that they dont 'add' to the original story and are quite pointless in terms of canon; but alas I have friends that fanfic and are slowly winning me over to their world. Being a fan of something doesnt mean you have to go out and write naughty stories or even read them, but doing so helps keep the fandom lively.

Not to draw on the abridged series too much in this fanfic argument but given that this is the abridged forum; I should hope that by even being on this site and reading this post that you can understand and appreciate the point. What LittleKuriboh does in making parody episodes is quite honestly what keeps a large part of the YGO fanbase alive. I loved the show growing up and if it wasnt for having an episode of YGOAS pop-up in my YouTube feed, my fandom would not be in hyper-drive as it is currently.

In the end, everything feeds back to the original. Ive recently started rebuilding my deck, impulsively hunted down some of the mangas online and have redecorated by phone (much to my friends annoyance but my unending bliss) with all kinds of ringtones and backgrounds. In fact many companies recognise this fact and know to support their fanbase by encouraging art and fictions.

And for all those TLDR people out there. "Fanfics are harmless."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Yu-Gi-Oh is the property of Konami and Kazuki Takahashi. We are only a parody, we are not breaking any laws nor intend to. See our disclaimer and terms of use. You can also contact us. Maybe you even want to read our about us page. Smileys by David Lanham. Hosted by Cthulhu.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.