This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  
 
HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television



View Poll Results: Why do you hate 4Kids?
The edits they make 85 82.52%
The voices they cast 24 23.30%
The bad jokes and lines 46 44.66%
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!! 23 22.33%
I hate it because everyone else does...... 10 9.71%
Other reasons 23 22.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-12-2009
MenosGrandeKuriboh's Avatar
MenosGrandeKuriboh MenosGrandeKuriboh is offline
 
Posts: 706
Default What do you hate about 4Kids?

I know pretty much everyone who watches anime hates 4Kids Entertainment, but for what reason in particular? This is something I've been wondering.
Most of what I hear from people is just "4Kids sucks", but I want to know what you all think is the worst part of 4Kids, or at least why you started hating it in the first place.

There's a couple possible reasons I've thought of:
1. Needless edits / sloppy edits
2. Bad voice cast
3. The cheesy lines / jokes
4. KAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Hate it because everyone else does and you don't want to look retarded by not hating it.

Personally, I dislike 4Kids for it's horrible edits that tend to ruin an anime. A prime example (in my opinion) is One Piece.

I know it's probably going to get me shot, but aside for the rediculous edits, I don't see anything wrong with 4Kids dubs. Though I think they should stick to cartoons and other shows, not anime.

Huntik and Kaman Rider: Dragon Knight FTW! XD

(sorry if there's a topic like this already, I'll change it if I can)

Last edited by MenosGrandeKuriboh; 02-12-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2009
Kochiha's Avatar
Kochiha Kochiha is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Under a rock. In space.
Blurb: NEPPU! SHIPPU!
Posts: 1,741
Default

Just be happy 4kids spit out One Piece. (Even though I was never fond of that series to begin with.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2009
Elliot Gale's Avatar
Elliot Gale Elliot Gale is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Blurb: ???? ?????!
Posts: 510
Default

It's primarily the edits. They get points back for great actors.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2009
MenosGrandeKuriboh's Avatar
MenosGrandeKuriboh MenosGrandeKuriboh is offline
 
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornZombie2 View Post
But I like 4kids One Piece...
Like I said, my opinion.
And don't get me wrong, I did like One Piece, it's just editing the smokes and blood, and even messing with scenes just to make it "kid friendly" I found to be stupid. It was an okay show all around though.

I liked the 4Kids voice cast more than the Funimation cast....
And Luffy's Japanese voice makes my ears bleed....... ><
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

I dislike them for all the reasons except for the one about hating them because everyone else does (I think that's a dumb reason to hate or like anything, IMO).

They have a few good actors here and there, but the good actors they have... well the directors aren't letting them use their full potential or are cast as all the wrong characters for that voice, if you know what I mean.

The edits are also really terrible. I mean for crying out loud they cut out English text. PLAIN ENGLISH. In Sonic X, there was a sign that said, "The House of Amy Rose" in clear, legible English in the Japanese version. In the dub, they erased all the text and made a blank sign. I'm sorry, but, WHY would you put a BLANK SIGN in a TV show? There's no reason for it. Ever.

However, I think my biggest reason for hating them is the script changes. As a writer it insults me to think about the original script being butchered and shred to a million pieces and having it being replaced with toilet jokes and general stupidity. This isn't about censorship at this point; it's about the integrity of the original show. You can keep most of the aspects of the original show without changing that much of the script.

I understand 4Kids' intentions in making anime kid-friendly and exposing them to it, but they're doing it all wrong.

Also the Americanization thing pisses me off to no end.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2009
DannyLilithborne's Avatar
DannyLilithborne DannyLilithborne is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Chateau Aensland
Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!
Posts: 1,476
Default

I hate them because they exist.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2009
Mullon's Avatar
Mullon Mullon is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Posts: 200
Default

I didn't know I was supposed to hate them until the internet told me to.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2009
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

sally, I do not think poeple just go, oh everyone else hates them, so I will too (some will, but most....) most will just say, "what everyone else is saying makes sense, so I agree"

Personally I do not hate 4kids, because one, there are bigger things to hate in this world, and second though I think they are foolish to try and make most Animie's kid-prove, they got me into Animie and it is not all their fault that CP was bort in.

However like Sally said I do dislike when they just stop following storyline altogether, but that is also the fault of the original writers who sell there ideals and stories for nothing more than money they probably don't even need
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2009
ggbhtg's Avatar
ggbhtg ggbhtg is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Never the MUCchat
Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Posts: 23,881
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg Send a message via Skype™ to ggbhtg
Default

There edits always piss me off because I find out it is something important
and/or epic.

I liked the one piece 4kids voices, but I'm sick of hearing certain voices reused
for characters over and Over AND OVER....

BAD JOKES AND LINES SUCK ASS!!!

KAAAAAAAHN! because....KAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!

Last, I don't think anyone should get mad because someone happens to like 4kids.
Maybe they just watch it because it's on or they get past all of these problems
and they still wanna see these animes translated (like me except I've stopped
watching it since I have cable).

I'm starting to wish I didn't have cable so I would be more commited to keeping
up with Yugioh 5ds...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2009
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Personally I do not hate 4kids, because one, there are bigger things to hate in this world, and second though I think they are foolish to try and make most Animie's kid-prove, they got me into Animie and it is not all their fault that CP was bort in.
That's true. I don't really hate them since they hardly affect my personal life, but I still wish they were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
However like Sally said I do dislike when they just stop following storyline altogether, but that is also the fault of the original writers who sell there ideals and stories for nothing more than money they probably don't even need
Sadly, that is also true. However that doesn't mean that it gives 4Kids the right to do it. I do wish that the people in charge of the original version of the show would care more... does no one with lots of money care about quality anymore? :/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2009
DannyLilithborne's Avatar
DannyLilithborne DannyLilithborne is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Chateau Aensland
Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!
Posts: 1,476
Default

While hate is a strong word, I think it applies to 4Kids. It's not so much the fact that they evidently think kids are stupid enough to buy their shit; it's the fact that it gets marketed at all makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy: kids are stupid enough to buy their shit, and they keep making it.

I can't blame the kids, because they are, after all, kids, and don't know any better. Artists, especially ones who create artwork for children, have a responsibility to society since their work does effect change. 4Kids makes kids stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-16-2009
onidragon's Avatar
onidragon onidragon is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: Magic!
Blurb: I'm having an adequate time.
Posts: 627
Default

Ok, I could stand the edits, it was for kiddie TV after all, and Al Kahn is just an idiot with his public adresses, but what really irks me...

ARE THE BULLSHIT JOKES AND THE GODAWFUL VOICES.

Seriously, Jonouchi with a brooklyn acent(Sp)? The suave, lady-killer Sanji with the voice of a retarded thug, however, was just so poorly miscast. The funi voice is better, but I always imagined Sanji with a voice that was a cross between Jim Morrison and Frank Zappa(i.e., Lounge Lizard).

I'm not even going to talk about the jokes. That's how much I hate them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2009
insaneXchaos's Avatar
insaneXchaos insaneXchaos is offline
 
Location: deep in the depths of YAOI heaven
Posts: 1,103
Default

I HATE 4KIDS! ...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2009
Titan50's Avatar
Titan50 Titan50 is offline
 
Location: My mother's womb
Posts: 884
Default

All the pointless edits and fucking with the storylines...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2009
Feball3001's Avatar
Feball3001 Feball3001 is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: Space Australia (outerspace)
Blurb: It's everyone else who is upside down
Posts: 6,314
Send a message via MSN to Feball3001
Default

I don't like the 4kids cuts for the same reason that I like them. I hate them because it cut out a lot of things that where important to the show, but I also like them because they where shown with the kids time slot and I was able to watch anime in the morning even if it was butchered.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-2009
ValkyrieJuno's Avatar
ValkyrieJuno ValkyrieJuno is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: In Wonderland
Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Posts: 85
Default

I would have liked the 4kids version better if they didn't censor so much and didn't aim it towards children. Come on, 4kids, seriously, this isn't a children's show, it's for teens. And I'm pretty damn sure they can handle a bit of violence. I mean, what, guns are bad but sending people to the Shadow Realm aka Hell is okay? What the fuck?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2009
PegasusJCrawford's Avatar
PegasusJCrawford PegasusJCrawford is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Canada
Blurb: I will crossdress for tequila.
Posts: 3,872
Default

their obese, bald, and stupid CEO who said "when 4kids is done editing the anime you won't even know it was from japan."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2009
Noah Kaiba's Avatar
Noah Kaiba Noah Kaiba is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: Screw the rules, I have teal hair!
Posts: 843
Default

The censorship and Americanization. I'm not really bothered by anything else. The bad puns and jokes are actually kind of funny sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2009
animex75's Avatar
animex75 animex75 is offline
Definitely Kim Jong Un
 
Gender: Male
Location: Potentially North Korea
Blurb: PSN: animex75b Switch: SW-5941-0272-2331
Posts: 84,214,683,156.72
Send a message via Skype™ to animex75
Default

i hated everything about them, ESPECIALLY the jookes
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2009
Ohara Ohara is offline
 
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,139
Default

I just hate the censorship. I don't think the voice actors are that bad, really...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-22-2009
DoubleEdgeSword's Avatar
DoubleEdgeSword DoubleEdgeSword is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Blurb: So you're insulting my intelligence, while you're stuck in the vending machine...
Posts: 25
Send a message via AIM to DoubleEdgeSword
Default

I'm with Ohara. The edits get kind of annoying, especially when you want to see someting in english like Yami getting socked by Joey. (I like Yami, really!)

As far as voices go, they're fine. I just hate the edits. Takes the fun out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-01-2009
ValkyrieJuno's Avatar
ValkyrieJuno ValkyrieJuno is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: In Wonderland
Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEdgeSword View Post
I'm with Ohara. The edits get kind of annoying, especially when you want to see someting in english like Yami getting socked by Joey. (I like Yami, really!)

As far as voices go, they're fine. I just hate the edits. Takes the fun out of it.
Yeah, I saw that part where he got socked by Joey and it was awesome! XD Too bad 4kids censors things the way they do.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-01-2009
ValkyrieJuno's Avatar
ValkyrieJuno ValkyrieJuno is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: In Wonderland
Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusJCrawford View Post
their obese, bald, and stupid CEO who said "when 4kids is done editing the anime you won't even know it was from japan."
Gosh, they were planning that all along? I should have known. I like the idea that the story itself takes place in America but people should still know that the show itself is from Japan. And what I think they really meant to say was, "When 4kids is done editing the anime you won't even know that it's a show for teenagers and older. In fact, we're gonna fuck it up so bad that everyone will believe that it's for little kids!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-07-2009
Bakura136's Avatar
Bakura136 Bakura136 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Land of Marble and Motive
Blurb: "Super Duper High School Level Bitch"
Posts: 5,198
Send a message via Skype™ to Bakura136
Default

4Kids ruin the natural essence of the show. Changing it completely and not giving Japan any credit. You say to a kid "Pokemon is Japanese" and they will disagree. Or they will ask you what Japan is. That's basically all I can be bothered saying.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2009
marjoh3's Avatar
marjoh3 marjoh3 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Sweden
Blurb: Who can climb up a cliff while holding a briefcase? It's Kaibaman!
Posts: 353
Default

Censoring and making Yu-Gi-Oh! seem like a kids show is just wrong. I like the voice actors though. Especially Dan Green, he has a really cool voice and he's against censorship.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-12-2009
ggbhtg's Avatar
ggbhtg ggbhtg is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Never the MUCchat
Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Posts: 23,881
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg Send a message via Skype™ to ggbhtg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoh3 View Post
Censoring and making Yu-Gi-Oh! seem like a kids show is just wrong. I like the voice actors though. Especially Dan Green, he has a really cool voice and he's against censorship.
Yeah he was great as Grovyle in that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon special
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-12-2009
DannyLilithborne's Avatar
DannyLilithborne DannyLilithborne is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Chateau Aensland
Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoh3 View Post
I like the voice actors though. Especially Dan Green, he has a really cool voice and he's against censorship.
So why doesn't he get a job with a real dubbing company?

P.S. his voice isn't really cool.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-12-2009
YamixShizuko's Avatar
YamixShizuko YamixShizuko is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Canada
Blurb: MIND CRUSH!!!
Posts: 10
Default

What episode was that? I'd like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbhtg View Post
Yeah he was great as Grovyle in that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon special
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-12-2009
YamixShizuko's Avatar
YamixShizuko YamixShizuko is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Canada
Blurb: MIND CRUSH!!!
Posts: 10
Default

I hate all the censorship they do, and cutting off the good scenes make it worse... GAHHHH! I HATE KAHN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2009
Elliot Gale's Avatar
Elliot Gale Elliot Gale is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Blurb: ???? ?????!
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
P.S. his voice isn't really cool.
Maaan Dan Green is made of secks. He can do a lot variation, playing adults and kids alike while sounding oh so suave. =3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Yu-Gi-Oh is the property of Konami and Kazuki Takahashi. We are only a parody, we are not breaking any laws nor intend to. See our disclaimer and terms of use. You can also contact us. Maybe you even want to read our about us page. Smileys by David Lanham. Hosted by Cthulhu.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.