PDA

View Full Version : ConBravo 2010-A convention report

Haruhifan
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey gang glad to be reporting again about the most recent anime/fandom convention we attended with ConBravo!

I got to see a bunch of cosplayers, possibly a higher percentage of cosplayers to non-costumed fans than anywhere else. I can recall seeing: a female humanoid Cubone, an Engineer from Team Fortress, Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in a Kimono, Black Star and Stein from Soul Eater, female Bakura and Duke Devlin from Yu-Gi-Oh, most of Organization XIII and the cast of Kingdom Hearts, Lord Zedd (in honour of the special guest Robert Axelrod who did the voice and he was a nice gent by the way to meet), the Ouran High School Host Club, Anne and Alan with a Sailor Moon monster Minotaur, Chii from Chobits, the King of All Cosmos, Knuckle the Echidna, Sakura and Ryu from Street Fighter, the 11th Dr. Who, Tsunade (who gave yummy gumballs) and female Naruto clones from Naruto, Amu from Shugo Chara (A cute little girl doing it and oddly somehow was the player for Team Hentai in the Mario Party Live action game at the con which had some hilarious games like the Chubby drink “Excuse me Princess” burp-off), a Pacman Ghost, most of the Hetalia Axis Powers cast, Card Captor Sakura, and many more awesome costumes! Of course what was also cool was seeing all these cosplayers and other con-goers coming to our 3 shows over the weekend.

More vids of the cosplayers and more can be seen at my special convention video playlist at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E273FEAC695D7A72 and later on hoping to update more 404s videos too at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2940D4CF10ED601B so check the ends of those playlists for more updated videos to enjoy!

Speaking of the 404s comedy improv troupe whose main site is at http://the404s.com/ with a NEW summer update, we had 3 shows at ConBravo. With 3 shows we had a blast entertaining a whole new set of fans that came to our shows. The shows included lots of fun (mostly at the expense of the G20 summit-we’re always up to date with the news folks!) and we did such games as Sportscasters for the Jazz Aerobics that somehow ended up involving knees to the groin and chair shots, 99 Things with jokes about boxes and lamp shades, Murder Telephone involving first riot police, then for another game involving caves (which I mistaken for oceans) and Swedish Chef mumblings, Statements and Question Only games for morning chores. We also had many Half Time games involving clowns and time travel, One Word at a Time for a cat who liked to sit on heads, the Change game for a cosplay photo shoot, Superheroes with characters like Professor Screwjob, Happy Man and Flying Man, an Infomercial with help from a mini-robot to help digestion, Mission Improbable involving finding the missing left shoe of the Prime Minster, Vacationing during Living Scenery, Stand, Sit& Lean with the 3 Stooges, More Specific for Microsoft Assistance, and a Hey You, Down There commercial for how to make a fake lake for the G20 summit using a bottle of water, vomit and rocks. We got tons of suggestions during our games of Random Lines and Scenes from a Hat from you the fans from things not to do at a funeral to lines about how Cubone’s evolving to scenes about what to do on a date with Johnny Depp! ConBravo invited us back for next year so expect us to be back for more improv comedy next time-you’d be MAD to miss it as it’s always a screwball time with the 404s!

There were also tons of neat events over the 2 days of the convention like the Dating Game, Anime Hollywood Squares with guests like our 404s, Savage Bandito and Robert Axelrod, a classic anime discussion -panel, and gaming with so many good old systems like the Sega Genesis (Sonic 2), NES (Mario Brothers), Sega Saturn (Fighters Megamix), N64 (Bust a Move), and Game Cube (Super Smash Bros. Melee). There were also more modern system gaming where I got to get more time playing Super Street Fighter 4 on the Xbox 360 where I did ok but only did well oddly with my lesser used characters Sakura and Ibuki, and board gaming like Settlers of Catan. I even got in my first game of Pokemon The Card Game in almost 3 years against the organizer, who was a parent who brought his kid to my former Pokemon Gym Leader League sessions.

From the dealer’s room this time I kept within my budget and still managed lots of nice things like a Yomi in a Kimono plushie (she’s from Azumanga Daioh), a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann logo button, 4 desktop figurines of Temari and Tsunade of Naruto, Winry of Full Metal Alchemist and Millie of Trigun. I got some Pokemon boosters too via raffle and that’s spurring my mind for new deck ideas. Finally I got some free postcards for Ouran High School Host Club, Romeo X Juliet and other anime series being promoted for DVD release.

Again I can’t express enough thanks to the staff of ConBravo who even gave the guests bags with personal letters of welcome from them-a first from any convention or event the 404s has done. Here’s to them having many more years for the newest convention ConBravo!
Next up for the 404s will be Otakuthon in Montreal, so am looking forward to reporting for that convention so be on the lookout for that report! For more info on that event go to http://www.otakuthon.com/2010/guests/performing_guests/#the404s and see you at the shows!